|The History of Marlboro Chapter|
This history of Marlboro Chapter No. 61 begins with Centennial Lodge No. 174. Centennial Lodge met in the old Bowie House, then called the "Town Hall," and later the "Masonic Hall." Their meetings started early in the afternoon and were called off at six o'clock for supper.
Ladies of the families of Centennial Lodge brought food and served the suppers. From this connection grew a desire to start an Eastern Star Chapter in Upper Marlboro.
In 1922, Sisters Cecil Traband and Grace and Elizabeth Swanson, already Eastern Star members, decided they would organize a Chapter in Upper Marlboro. The required signatures were gathered, a petition sent to the Worthy Grand Patron and the Chapter was instituted on January 4, 1923. Ruth Chapter No. 7 of Hyattsville sponsored Marlboro Chapter and Sister Cecil Traband, a member of Ruth Chapter, became Marlboro Chapter's first Worthy Matron.
On November 14, 1964, the Masonic Hall burned to the ground. Members continued to have meetings in Trinity Parish Hall until September 5, 1967, when the Chapter moved to its present location on Croom Station Road.
Marlboro Chapter has sponsored five Chapters: Seat Pleasant No. 76 in 1926; Woodlawn No. 101 in 1934; Prince Frederick No. 104 in 1946; Unity No. 112 in 1956; and Bay Side No. 114 in 1963. Due to the attrition of our Order, Seat Pleasant No. 76, Prince Frederick No 104, and Bay Side No. 114 have all consolidated with Marlboro Chapter No. 61. These were difficult times for our three daughter Chapters, but those members were warmly welcomed back "home."
Many honors have come to Marlboro Chapter through the election and appointment of its members as Grand Officers, Deputy Grand Lecturers, Grand Representatives, Grand Chapter Committee Chairmen, and other important positions.
Marlboro Chapter has been honored to have as members three Worthy Grand Matrons, Sisters Cecil Traband Burroughs, Hilda Buck, and Kay Daniels Bond; and two Worthy Grand Patrons, Brothers Russell Buck and Edward Daniels, Sister Kay's father - the first father-daughter Worthy Grand Patron (1971-1972) and Worthy Grand Matron (2002-2003) in the history of the Grand Chapter of Maryland, Order of the Eastern Star.
Each of these Past Grand Officers are among the Foundation of Marlboro Chapter No. 61. Our current members are indebted to ALL who formed our foundation and those who have sustained it through the years. We, the members, strive to follow in their footsteps to have success in the future of Marlboro Chapter No. 61. With everyone's support, we will be able to accomplish all our hopes and dreams through love of our beautiful Order and friendship of our Sisters and Brothers.